Thursday, November 8, 2018

FOOD STORAGE--LITTLE BY LITTLE

Soon after we were married, Jeff and I signed up to work at the church cannery and were able to purchase our first food storage.  I think we bought 4-5 boxes worth of various dry-pack cans.  That next summer, I learned how to make jam...and I made jam.  Peach Jam, Strawberry Jam, and Blackberry Jam.  The few storage shelves we had our little 4-plex apartment soon filled up with food storage.  And, as our family grew, so did our food storage.  Our budget has always had a line-item for food storage, often we save up for a few months and then use it to buy what we need.  This method has worked very well for our family, allowing us to consistently build our storage without feeling like our budget has been stretched.

Section 12 of One for the Money encourages us to appropriately involve ourselves in a food storage and emergency preparedness program.  We are counciled not to go into debt to buy these items, but to prepare and gain our stores for a time of need. 

I firmly believe in this principle and hope that you can little by little gain your food and emergency stores.  If you need help, you can refer to a few of the steps I have outlined to help you.

3 Month Meal Plan:  Month1, Month 2, Month 3, Month 4
Long-Term Storage Plan:  Salt, Cooking Oil, ContainersGrainsBeans, Sugar and Honey, Milk 
Emergency Preparedness:  Fire, Earthquake, 3-minutes

I hope that any post I have written over the last year and a half will help you be just a little more prepared in some way.  You can find all my posts on my blog.  But remember, just reading will not help you be more prepared, you will have to do something too. 

I Challenge You:  Read section 12 of One for the Money.  Make a plan for your family to involve yourselves in food storage and emergency preparedness.  I promise you will not regret it.

No comments: