Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A SUCESSFUL JOURNEY REQUIRES PREPARATION

Our family has just started a new journey, one we did not plan on, and one where we do not know the outcome or the details.  I am learning as we go and I am grateful for every ounce of preparation we have made.

Last spring both my husband and I felt like it was time to have another baby.  This was not a decision I took lightly...actually I fought it.  I took some convincing, but Heavenly Father helped me realize through many profound experiences that this was His will. 

Fast forward to October 8, and we excitedly went to our routine 19-week ultrasound.  I was very excited, wondering if a boy or a girl would break our tie.  During the ultrasound, I noticed that a little more time than usual was spent looking at our little girl's heart.  My suspicions were confirmed when I visited with my doctor and he stated that the heart did not look like it was functioning quite right.  I was sent to Rady Children's hospital for a follow-up fetal ecocardiogram. 

Our Rady's appointment was set for October 26, and after an hour-and-a-half heart ultrasound, and over 160 pictures later, we met with the cardiologist.  I was not quite prepared for the diagnosis--Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, a very rare and extremely serious congenital heart defect.  Basically, the entire left side of the heart is underdeveloped and useless.  Without extreme medical intervention the condition is fatal 100% of the time.   What they are able to do with these babies is truly a miracle.  Over the course of 3 surgeries (one during the first week of life, one at 3-6 months, and one at 18 months to 3 years) the entire heart is rebuilt in a different way that allows the right side of the heart to pump all the blood for the body.  The success rate for these procedures are very high and more and more kids are able to live life...though some of it is a little different kind of "normal."

Our family still has a lot of decisions to make and we are trying to wrap our heads around all of this.  But, peace has come and I know all will be OK, though I am still trying to figure out exactly what "OK" means.

So, how does this all fit with Provident Living and Preparedness.  Well, quite a bit.  As I have looked at the last several years and specifically at things we have done to mindfully be prepared, I can point to almost all areas of Provident Living where we have prepared for this, short of pulling out our 72-hour kits.  My husband is prepared with his education and employment so that if a location and job change is necessary, it is possible.  Our finances are in order and we have good insurance.  We have worked hard so that our home is nice and in a sell-able condition.  We have relied on our food storage--including fruit and vegetables we have harvested and stored from our yard, enabling us to still eat our regular food even though trips to the store are not as frequent.  And, we have spiritually prepared ourselves; including being able to receive personal revelation to know the actions our family should take. 

I have always thought that being prepared and self-reliant is they key for us to do whatever we need to do all by ourselves, never asking for a single thing from anyone else.  I can tell you from what I have learned these last weeks that this thinking is dead wrong.  No matter what we are going through, we cannot do it all ourselves.  Relying on our Savior is an essential part of any journey...including this journey called life.  I also was reminded of the power of our ward family.  As meals have trickled in and as I have received hugs and whispers of, "We are praying for you," I feel the strength and love from all of you that has helped buoy us up during this hard time.  I have been humbled as I realize that we can't do everything by ourselves, and it was never intended that we do so. 

With this humility, I ask a special request of my dear sisters.  If you could include our baby girl in your fast this week, I so would appreciate it.  We are praying for healing, that her heart will miraculously be made whole...but if this is not the Lord's will, we are asking for help to know the best place for us to be to give our little one the best chances for her to accomplish her mission here on earth.

Meanwhile, I challenge you to look at the areas of Provident Living:  Education, Emergency Preparedness, Spirituality & Testimony, Employment, Finances, Food Storage, and Gardening & Home Production.  Realize that none of us really know what challenges are in our future, but preparedness in all of these areas will help us weather whatever storm may come.  Pray for insight and help to know where your next preparation focus should be, then act. 

No comments: