Thursday, May 31, 2018

LONG TERM STORAGE: MONTH 2

Back in the 90s I worked in a little candy store in the middle of the mall.  I became a pro at making Cotton Candy and Stringing Taffy.  I took the food safety classes (which really only told me not to put meat and produce on the same shelf in the fridge and to rotate food items "first in-first out"), and saved my paychecks for college tuition.  I remember almost all the gummy and sugary candy we got all had the big "Fat Free!" labels.  I realized there was a whole lot of candy that fit right into the fat-free craze.  I thought it was funny that there were people that actually thought that fat free always meant healthy.   Fast forward about 10 years and I was attending Weight Watchers classes.  I loved them and learned a ton about nutrition.  One of the things that stuck out in my mind was that we need fat in our diet.  Now, this is not license to go out and be crazy about French Fries, but the human body does need the right amount of good fats to be at it's peak.

It is suggested to store a minimum of 10 quarts per person of cooking oil for your year's supply.  For my family, that is 95 quarts.  

"Fat" comes in several forms:  Olive oil, Canola oil, Vegetable oil, Coconut oil, Butter, Peanut oil, etc. One thing to remember about fats is that they do have a shorter shelf life and need to be rotated and replaced often.  Because of this, it is important that you choose fats that you know you will use on a regular basis.  Remember that "first in, first out" rule and you will be great.

I challenge you to get enough cooking oil for your family to add to your long-term storage.

If you would like to add a few extras to your storage, I will list some suggestions each month.  Remember the #1 Food Storage Rule:  Store what you Eat and Eat what you Store!

5 lb Peanut Butter and 2 jars of jelly or jam

6 lb pasta for each member of your family

Safety matches, flashlights, batteries

Condiments:  watch for sales and stock up on mustard, ketchup, relish, mayo, salad dressing, soy sauce, etc.

Sleeping Bag or Tent

______________________________________

LONG TERM STORAGE CHALLENGE
Month 1--Salt, 8 lbs per person

No comments: