Thursday, April 4, 2019

72 HOUR KIT FOOD ROTATION


Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I went through a home purge, trying to get rid of anything and everything I didn't need anymore.  Stacked up in my pantry were 72 hour food kits I had assembled in 2005.  They were sealed in mylar bags and had not been opened.  Just to see, I opened one and my first thought was, "what fun snacks!"  Then I realized that everything was useless.  I have seen rocks softer than the fruit snacks in that kit.  I was grateful that I did not have to rely on those nasty old snacks in time of an emergency!

Well my friends, it has been 10 months since many of us put our 72 kits together.  When we assembled them, Sister Clark told me how excited she was to rotate the food.  That time is now!  I like to rotate at a specific time yearly so I can remember.  I am choosing April Conference as my rotation time.  The food in your current kit should still be good, so break out those kits and have a movie night to eat all your snacks.

If you did not make kits with us last year, but would like a jumping off point, this is it!  

My goal is to give you all the resources to buy food for your 72 hour kits.  I am going off of what we put in our kits last year, but feel free to customize to what your family likes and adjust to any health needs that have changed.  I did buy in bulk, the quantities will likely give you more than you will need for just your family's kits.  Get together with another family to buy together, or plan to have a lot of fun snacks left over.  Ready? here we go...

I got everything from Amazon, Walmart.com, target.com, and Costco

Here are my shopping lists :

COSTCO
1 L water bottles (each kit needs 2)
Nature Valley Biscuit
Fruit Leather
Quaker chewy granola bars (each kit needs 2)
Kirkland trail mix individual packets
Nature Valley crunchy granola bar
Kirkland Applesauce squeeze bags
Goldfish crackers individual bags

Annie's Bunnies (3 bags per kit)
Slim Jims (4 per kit)
Fig Newtons (2 per kit)

Yogurt Raisins (5 per kit)
Peanut Butter Cups  ( 2 per kit )
Animal Crackers (4 per kit)

Hi Chew candies (9 per kit)--No longer available, substitute with your favorite candy, 3 pieces for each day.  

Our kits included 3 days worth of food, here are the menus for each day:

Day #1
Breakfast: Nature Valley Biscuit, Annie’s Bunnies, 2 yogurt raisins
Lunch: peanut butter and animal crackers, fruit leather
Dinner: 4 Slim Jims, 2 chewy granola bars, Fig Newtons  3 Hi Chew Candies
Day #2
    Breakfast: soft baked breakfast bar, Annie’s Bunnies, Craisins
    Lunch: trail mix, Annie’s Bunnies, Fig Newtons
    Dinner:  peanut butter & animal crackers, crunchy granola bar,  2 yogurt raisins, 3 Hi-Chew Candies
Day #3
   Breakfast: breakfast cookie, animal crackers, applesauce
    Lunch: tuna & crackers, Goldfish, fruit snacks
    Dinner: bag of peanuts, animal crackers, yogurt raisins, 3 Hi-Chew Candies

As you rotate your food, also check clothing to make sure everything still fits.  Re-assess needs for each family member, i.e., add medications, take out diapers, add an additional kit, etc. 

I hope you keep your 72 hour kits ready to go at all times, emergencies are hard enough, you don't need an out of date kit with inedible food!

I CHALLENGE YOU to update (or assemble) your 72 hour kits.  If you need a list of what else we put in our kits last year, just ask and I can get you one!

No comments: