Sunday, April 18, 2010

Double Hourglass quilt

All my life I've loved quilts. I grew up playing under my grandma's quilting frames and it's something I've always wanted to do. I pieced one a few years ago and hand quilted the entire huge thing. I'm still not done with the binding. When I do finally get it all done, I'll probably blog about it, but today, here's a quilt I have finished.

This quilt was my first attempt at machine quilting, and I must say I was very happy with the results.


I used this tutorial for the blocks. It came together SO easily and I didn't buy a stitch of fabric for it...all stuff I had on hand.

I quilted it in a swirly pattern, definitely not perfect,


But when I washed it, it went into a happy puckery-ness that I love!


Even the back was cute!


And like almost everything I make, I didn't want to part with it, but I gave it to a friend who is expecting her first baby any day. She loved it.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

You are a quilting maniac! I'm so super impressed. also, love your color choices :)

Anonymous said...

I always want to make a quilt,but then feel overwhelmed when it comes to actually doing it.

Angela Henderson said...

I never knew we had quilting in common. I love the quilt. Do you quilt it with your own sewing machine? Or do you have a special one?
BTW-- I saw Angelica's page that she did for your next scrap exchange and it is way CUTE!!!
Im jealous.
Miss ya!!!

RaeLyn said...

Just with my machine. I got a free-motion quilting foot and I still need lots of practice :)

Stacey said...

Hi Raelyn , I too am hooked on those doubleglass blocks. here is a cute quilt that I made too!!

happy Quilting.

Stacey
http://drivingmissstacey.blogspot.com/2009/10/double-hourglass-quilt.html