Monday, April 5, 2010

Blessings of Conference

Lately I've been in a rut...well maybe more a ditch (and not my brother-in-law's!). Sometimes I know there needs to be a big change--in schedules, or maybe just attitudes. I've known this for awhile, but it takes time to figure out the best change and even more time to implement it. I feel like I'm running, with not much time to spare, so we've been doing our same old stuff just trying to stay afloat...

Back in college, I had an awesome Religion professor at BYU named Reed Benson. Every Conference time, he suggested that we make a list of 5 things we had questions about or felt like we needed help with. Over the last 10+ years, I've tried to make these lists. This Conference, I did...
  1. Homeschooling (help!)
  2. Babies
  3. Scripture Study
  4. Preparedness
  5. Family Organization
I was amazed. I think over half the talks at Conference focused on the importance of teaching your children at home! By the end of the first session, my heart was so full! I realized that I can do this! Homeschooling is important! The Lord will provide a way for me to succeed! I think I need to print out Sister Beck's and Elder Ballard's talks and read one of them every day, along with thoroughly studying the Conference Ensign as soon as it arrives!

There were a couple of amazing quotes that I need to print out and post up. They were both from the talk by Elder Bradley D. Foster. The first one, he quoted President James E. Faust: "There is no greater good in all the world than motherhood." This one needs to go in every room of my house. The second is "The distraction doesn't have to be evil to be effective." This one needs to go on my computer!

It was a great weekend, to be able to put everything aside and to listen to our church leaders for two days. Wow, what a spiritual feast! I needed it.

Now I feel like I can be proactive about my day instead of reactive. I even got up before 7:00 this morning. That's a big thing for me, and the day has gone so much better!

Well, I'm walking away from this distraction now and working on some birthday surprises for tomorrow. Sarah turns 10--Where did it go?

I'd love to hear your insights about Conference too!

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I can't believe you have a almost ten year old. that's so cool! I love those quotes too.

Jandi said...

I did notice that a big focus was on the family and mothering. It is always good to hear council and feel rewarded for the choices we have made by staying home. Now to change some things! Easier said than done.