Thursday, October 3, 2019

MINDFUL SPIRITUAL PREPARATION

General Conference is in just a few short weeks.  We also have the blessing of having the Women's session this Conference.  Last year's prophetic council to the sisters of the church helped me in more ways than I could have ever imagined.  

President Nelson encouraged us sisters to read the Book of Mormon, specifically making note of the scriptures that talk about Jesus Christ.  I was slow starting, but with yellow pencil in hand, I read and I marked and felt like I was closer to my Savior than I had been for awhile.  I did not realize at the time how much I would need to draw on this newfound strength just a few short weeks after finishing the Book of Mormon.

Preparing for spiritual experiences takes time.  Actively praying and studying is an important part, but as I was reading this morning, a couple verses jumped out at me as another way to prepare:  Alma 7:15-16 states, "Yea, I say unto you come and fear not, and lay aside every sin, which easily doth beset you, which doth bind you down to destruction, yea, come and go forth, and show unto your God that ye are willing to repent of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep his commandments, and witness it unto him this day by going into the waters of baptism.
     And whosoever doeth this, and keepeth the commandments of God from thenceforth, the same will remember that I say unto him, yea, he will remember that I have said unto him, he shall have eternal life, according to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, which testifieth in me."

After reading these verses, it hit me that our daily actions of repenting and keeping the commandments also help us to prepare.  

I have found that as I do my part, expecting spiritual experiences and preparing for them, I am never disappointed.

General Conference will be great whether or not you come prepared, but I know that it can be life-changing if you put forth the effort to receive all that Heavenly Father has for you.

In addition to repentance and obeying the commandments, you can find some more Conference Prep ideas here (http://byesboos.blogspot.com/2018/10/recharge-weekend-ahead.html?m=1) and here (http://byesboos.blogspot.com/2018/03/come-with-question.html?m=1)

I CHALLENGE YOU to find ways to prepare to receive the word of the Lord. They do not need to be elaborate or take a ton of time.  I promise the the mindful effort you do put forth will be multiplied by the blessings and answers you receive.  

No comments: