Thursday, December 6, 2018

PREPARING FOR GIFT GIVING

I'm not sure I will ever get used to these San Diego Decembers.  For most of my life, I have lived in areas where it snows for Christmas.  I love not having to deal with snow, but Christmas always sneaks up on me.  Today we had piano lessons and our piano teacher's home was decked out for Christmas.  Her tree was up with presents underneath, lights on the outside of her home, and nativities everywhere you could see.   This year, I have not even thought about Christmas.  With trying to make decisions about the baby and getting our home on the market, Christmas is about as far from my mind as scraping ice off my windshield!  But, ready or not, Christmas always comes.

Last year, I posted "The Gift of Preparedness."  I still think these are great ideas for anyone on your list.  This year, I will try to give some ideas for gifting long-term food storage ideas. 

I remember one year, my mom gave away bags of her favorite hot cereal.  She put it in a big cellophane bag and tied a beautiful bow on the front, including a tag of how to cook it.  That would work wonderfully for Winco's Granola or Muesli Cereal. 

If you have family in Utah or Idaho, Walton Feed (Rainy Day Foods) has almost everything under the sun.  Shipping to Utah, Idaho, or Wyoming is very reasonable--but gets a little pricey to send it all the way out here. One year, we got Jeff's parents buckets of beans, as they love chili and other bean-soups.

You could easily do buckets for local friends or family.  Stopping by Winco (in either Temecula or San Marcos) gives you a one-stop shop.  Anything they sell in their bulk bins can be bought by the bag or by the box.  They have 2 and 5 gallon buckets, gamma lids, and oxy packs.  Some of their items can be ordered through their website, but all items can be ordered in the store.  Some of my favorites include:  Popcorn, Kidney Beans, Wheat, and Oats.  Though their selection seems endless. even including chocolate and gummy worms. Gift food items you know they will use and love. 

Giving Food Storage may not be the most exciting Christmas present, but I guarantee that you will be often thought of as your gift is used. 

I challenge you to consider food storage or preparedness items for those hand-to-gift people on your Christmas list.  Some families even make their whole Christmas a "food storage Christmas" using funds they would have spent on gifts to bulk up their storage.

No comments: