Thursday, December 20, 2018

PROPHETIC PROMISES

I was in Primary when President Benson issued the challenge to the members of the Church to Flood the Earth with the Book of Mormon.  I was probably 9 or 10 when the General Primary set a goal to have all the Primary children read the Book of Mormon in a year.  Bookmarks were carefully made and distributed so we could all keep track of what months we were supposed to read which part of the Book of Mormon.  I had never read the entire Book of Mormon on my own but thought it would be a good thing to do.  The first month was First Nephi--check.  The second month was Second Nephi--and I got stuck.  Near the end of the month, I knew I had a decision to make.  I could just give up and figure that I tried, it was just too hard.  Or, I could read almost all of 2 Nephi in about a week, get caught up, and continue reading.  I am happy to say that I did finish 2 Nephi that month, and I did finish the Book of Mormon, for the first time, that year. 

I did not realize at the time, but making that decision to finish 2 Nephi by the end of the month has had a lasting impression on me.  I learned that I can do something hard and succeed.  I have thought back to that one decision more times than I can count, and I have been thinking about that decision much these last two months.

Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the Women's Session from this last conference live.  I was helping some family members with some drama, and it was quite awhile before I was able to go back and listen to it.  By that time, I had heard about President Nelson's challenge to read The Book of Mormon by the end of the year.  Part of me wanted to rationalize that "I didn't watch it, I can't be held accountable for that!"  But I knew this was not right, and to really follow the prophet, I needed to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. 

And, it's been rough.  That 7 pages a day seemed daunting and impossible in the beginning.  I felt like I could barely squeeze in a single chapter a day, let along 3 and a half?!  Well, I knew what the right thing to do was and some days I got in those 7 pages, and some days I didn't.  Shortly after Conference, we learned about our baby's heart defect.  I knew I needed Heavenly Father's help, and who was I to ask for help if I couldn't even do what His prophet directed me to do?  My efforts to read the Book of Mormon became more mindful and I found I enjoyed it more.  After Thanksgiving, I did the math and realized I would need to read a minimum of 15 pages a day in order to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year.  I thought of my 2 Nephi experience so many years ago and determined that I could do it.

I re-read Presiden't Nelson's challenge recently and was blown away by the myriad of promises he made to us as we make time to read the Book of Mormon.   I have felt several of these promises in my own life...and I still have many pages to go. 

I challenge you to take on President Nelson's challenge to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year (If you haven't started, it's not too late!  Parley P. Pratt read it in one night!), or to continue reading and to FINISH.  Review the blessings our prophet promised if we do so.  Add to your spiritual preparedness a mountain of 'Book of Mormon storage' as you reflect how this book has changed your life and brought you closer to Jesus Christ.   We cannot afford not to. 

No comments: