Monday, April 30, 2018

LONG-TERM STORAGE: MONTH 1

Are you up to the challenge?

On Sunday I challenged every family in our ward to have a basic year supply of food by May  1, 2019.  I referenced Elder Featherstone from the April 1976 Conference (his talk is the best talk I have heard on food storage EVER--I highly encourage you to read it) and feel strongly that this is something our ward should focus on.

My job (that I love!) is to help you be prepared.  I am available for questions, help, coaching, and whatever you need to help you get your year's supply.  Over the next 12 months, I will be giving monthly guidelines for you to follow.  I promise this is not hard, it just requires a little effort and faith.

As President Hinckley said, “We can begin ever so modestly.  We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months.  I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all.  Begin in a small way…and gradually build toward a reasonable objective.”  

I will give you small, monthly goals that can be met easily. I will give a basic goal, which I hope all will obtain, and also a few suggestions to supplement your storage even more.

May's goal: Salt.

Nutritionists recommend iodized salt when available. I think this is one of the easiest items. It is very inexpensive, requires no extra packaging, and makes everything taste yummy. Any grocery store is a good source to buy salt. Unfortunately, it seems Costco has stopped carrying it, so don't check there.

The minimum suggestion is that you have 8 lbs. of salt for each person. The general rule is that you half the amount for children and plan on 150% for teens. You know your family best, so you can do the math accordingly.

For my family of 10, I will plan for 3 adults, 3, teens, and 4 children; so I multiply amounts by 9.5 for my family. Therefore, I need 76 lbs of salt.

If you would like to add a few extras to your storage, I will list some suggestions each month. Remember the #1 Food Storage Rule: Store what you eat, and eat what you store!

Yeast: 1 lb per person. SAF yeast is the best brand and is vacuum-packed for freshness. I recommend keeping it in the freezer after opening to keep it good. Locally, the places to buy it are WINCO and Costco Business Center (Othello Ave. San Diego).

Dry Soup and Mixes, Crackers

5 lb bag of Popcorn

Garden Seeds and Shovel. If you want "Storage" Seeds, consider an Heirloom pack that can be easily stored in your freezer.

No comments: