Wednesday, April 11, 2018

ANSWER TO MY QUESTION

Two weeks ago, we were urged to come to General Conference with a question.  I made my list of questions, and one of them was, "How do I help my family and my ward be more prepared?"

I am not sure anyone was prepared for the amazing prophetic changes made, but I listened to conference with my ears and my heart open for any phrases like, "preparedness" or "self-reliant."  Well, my friends, I was not disappointed.  Sunday morning, Elder Larry Y. Wilson was the first speaker.  He addressed my question head-on when he said, "Being spiritually self-reliant is hearing the Lord's voice through His Spirt for one's own life."  Wow.  He then went on to say, "...being familiar with the voice of the Holy Ghost is a matter of spiritual life and death."

And, if that wasn't enough, just over an hour later, President Nelson also spoke on the importance of personal revelation, and he told us how to receive it:  "Follow the example of the Prophet Joseph. Find a quiet place where you can regularly go. Humble yourself before God. Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father. Turn to Him for answers and for comfort.  Pray in the name of Jesus Christ about your concerns, your fears, your weaknesses—yes, the very longings of your heart. And then listen! Write the thoughts that come to your mind. Record your feelings and follow through with actions that you are prompted to take. As you repeat this process day after day, month after month, year after year, you will “grow into the principle of revelation.”  


Spiritual self-reliance is a principle that is true, important, and life-saving.  I echo President Nelson, "I urge you to stretch beyond your current spiritual ability to receive personal revelation..."  I also expect to receive our prophet's promise that "...as you continue to be obedient, expressing gratitude for every blessing the Lord give you, and as you patiently honor the Lord's timetable, you will be given the knowledge and understanding you seek.  Every blessing the Lord has for you--even miracles--will follow.  That is what personal revelation will do for you."  President Nelson ended his talk with a clear self-reliance statement, "...in coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."  
I challenge you to make the decision today and do what President Nelson said, "Do the spiritual work required to enjoy the git of the Holy Ghost and hear the voice of the Spirit more frequently and more clearly."  Read, ponder, and pray about what our living prophet has told us and work to be spiritually self-reliant.  Meanwhile, I also will be working to receive guidance about how to help you be more prepared.

No comments: