Wednesday, December 6, 2017

HOMEMADE BREAD

Years ago, Grandma Stoddard was famous in Salmon, Idaho for her bread.  The story goes that when the members were asked to raise money to build the first church building in Salmon, Grandma made bread to sell, and it always went first.  My sister-in-law asked for her recipe before she passed away, and Grandma wrote it all out--I think it was 6 pages long.  Sometimes Jeff will pull out our copy of the handwritten recipe, but luckily another sister-in-law simplified it so I can make bread quickly for our everyday use.  About 10 years ago, I started making bread on a regular basis to help stretch our grocery budget.  Now, except for a bought loaf here or there, it's about all we eat.

GRANDMA'S HOMEMADE BREAD

6 c. water
3 T yeast (4 T if whole wheat) + 1 T sugar
*Put in mixer, stir with spoon and let sit for a few minutes
1 c. oil
10 c. flour (can be whole wheat, or half wheat/white)
1 c. sugar
1 c. potato flakes
1/2 c. dry milk
4 eggs
3 T salt
 *Mix for 4-5 minutes or until smooth like cake batter
*Add wheat flour (about 6-10 cups, depending on humidity) until not sticky
Let rise for 30 minutes, shape into loaves and let rise (covered) in loaf pans for 30-45 minutes (until it is the size you want your loaves to be)
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Makes 5-6 loaves.

Now, I realize that bread-making is sometimes overwhelming.  Here's a few hints I have learned over the years:
Use good yeast.  The best yeast I have found is SAF Instant yeast (found at WinCo, Costco Business Center or online.  Red Star from Costco works almost as well)  Keep your yeast cold, I keep mine in the freezer in an air tight container.
Wheat!  I find that newer freshly-ground flour works best.  If you have older wheat, never fear!  There is a product called Vital Wheat Gluten, available at several sites online, and probably at Sprouts (I haven't looked recently).  Substitute 1/2 c. vital wheat gluten for 1 c. flour.  It works wonders and helps your bread be more light and fluffy!
Practice:  Just like anything else, good bread takes some practice.  The ingredients are cheap and bread-fails can easily be made into french toast.  AND, if the loaves turn out rock-hard and totally inedible, I'm sure the missionaries would appreciate them to chuck at mean dogs if they find themselves in a life-or-death situation.

I challenge you to make bread once between now and the new year.  It is a great thing to know how to do, and if you already know how, I promise it will be a great treat for your family to make it again.

No comments: