Friday, December 22, 2017

2 Weeks Post Fire

On Tuesday I drove down Lilac Road.  It was sobering, to say the least.  The scorched ground, pink ribbons tied to mailboxes and fences, signs thanking the firefighters and first responders and the smoke smell still in the air was a fresh reminder.  Driving down Redondo Drive was also severe.  Seeing the melted vinyl fencing and the fireplace that was once a home was a vivid reminder that fire is a real threat and it can break out very quickly putting any (or all) of us at risk.

So here we are, 2 weeks post-fire.  I am determined this time to not forget what we learned.  I analyzed the fire last week, but I think it is important for you to do the same with your family.

THIS WEEK, I challenge you to : (1) Make a list of 5 things you did right during the fire.  (2) Make a list of 5 things you wish you would have done during the fire.  (3) Make a list of ten things you would absolutely want to take with you and tape it to the inside of a cabinet.  (4) Make sure your house has 100 feet of defensible space around it--clear brush, debris, trash, trim trees etc. (Firefighters have always made it clear that if there is no defensible space, they cannot even try to save your home).

I know it is Christmas, but it may give you a bit more time together as a family to meet these goals.

Shari Kooyman sent me some great tips for getting the smoke smell out of your home--Thank you Shari!  There is a product called Bad Odor Sponge.  Several years ago I purchased mine from Major market.  I have used it to remove smoke damage to clothing and to papers of grandsons home that burned down.  Major Market is sold out, but in stock has one called the Wizard.  The manager said you could try it and if you did not like it you could return it.  Or you can find Bad Odor Sponge on the internet.  When I was finished using I just screwed the lid back on the container and was able to use it again.  I also used this to remove musty odor from genealogy record that had been stored in totes for years.  Also you can put a couple of briquette in paper bags or bowls and they will absorbs the smoky odors.  I have used this to remove musty odors from old books and papers.
A couple of tablespoons of real vanilla in a bowl will also absorb the smoky odor without adding artificial odors to the air.  Vinegar put in bowls placed in different rooms will also help to remove smoky odor.

No comments: