Thursday, November 21, 2019

DO IT YOURSELF

About three years into our marriage, my husband announced that he wanted me to learn to cut his hair so that he wouldn't have to take the time or the money to go get it cut.  We bought our first set of Oster hair clippers from Costco that came with an instructional video (yes, VHS) that taught the basics of cutting hair.  Clippers bought (check), video watched (check)...off we go.  He sat down and I started cutting.  He tried to coach me through that first cut, and I figured I knew what I was doing--after all, I had watched the video.  After awhile, whether it was my poor listening skills, or his poor coaching, the hair was cut to a satisfactory level and we didn't talk to each other until late the next day.  I figured that would be the one and only cut, but about 5 weeks later Jeff asked me to cut his hair again.  I was a little surprised, but agreed and it went much better.  The third time, I gave Jeff a buzz cut with scissors.  I learned a little bit each time and with his patience, I finally was able to do a pretty decent job.  I have now cut my husband's hair for over 15 years, and my boys have only had mom cuts.  I don't hire out, I only know how to cut one head shape one way.  But I do admit it has been nice to know how to cut my boys' hair.  It has saved us a lot of time and money over the years. 

Learning a new skill takes time to build it to proficiency.  It also takes a lot of patience both from yourself and your family.  But, if the skill provides a need and helps you become more self-sufficient, I think it is totally worth it.

Cutting hair may not be on your list of skills to learn, but maybe learning more about yard work, auto maintenance, housekeeping, or some other needed skill that you currently outsource would be doable.

I CHALLENGE YOU to think about learning a new skill you could learn to help your family become more self reliant

No comments: