Tuesday, January 9, 2018

3 MONTH MEAL PLAN--MONTH 1

Life is about adjustment...When we moved to Stoddard Valley almost 5 years ago, I found myself at least 20 minutes away from any grocery store (even Daniel's).  Those quick trips to the store for the forgotten or unplanned-for item were simply not an option anymore.  I learned to plan a little better, or adjust to meals we could make with what we had on hand.  Luckily I had a fallback.  Can I tell you how amazing it is to have family living next door?!  I knew that I could borrow a can of tomato sauce, a package of graham crackers, or just about anything else, anytime.  It was like having a grocery store next door!  Awesome.  Then, adjustment came again when my grocery store family next door moved away.  I cannot even begin to tell you what a bummer this has been, but we move forward.

The church is amazing, they have given us a plan to get in place to totally solve my dilemma.  It is called a 3-month supply and all we need to do is follow it.  The short version is that we are supposed to have food in our homes to last our family for 3 months.  Brilliant.  During 2018, I invite you to follow along as I challenge myself to build an amazing 3 month supply.  The blessings will be many-fold!  Some of them include: less last-minute trips to the grocery store, knowing you can always make a meal, food on hand in case of need, and much more!  LET'S DO THIS!

January's Goal:  PLAN

(1) Finances.  Determine an amount you can spend on Food Storage every month and incorporate it into your budget.
(2) Make a list.  Come up with 7 breakfast meals, 7 lunch meals, 7 snacks, and 7 dinners that can be made entirely from non-perishable food (think: cans and pantry items).
(3) Gather Recipes.  Make a recipe file (binder, cards, etc.) of these recipes.  If you need ideas, Pinterest has a plethora of them.  I searched for "LDS 3 month food storage recipes" and got more ideas than I can use!  I shared one dinner recipe for Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup awhile back, so you can for sure use that!  The #1 rule for this step is you can only list and gather recipes you KNOW your family will eat (and love).
(4) Follow up.  Visit my blog and leave a comment at the end of this post with a recipe or an item you have on your list (then check back to get ideas from other people).


2 comments:

RaeLyn said...

Popcorn is an awesome snack. It stores very well!

k d L said...

Starting late...but excited to jump in with you!