Tuesday, February 20, 2018

EASY GARDENING

My Great-Grandma was an amazing gardner.  She was the one that started her seeds in the house so she could wait until whether was good enough to plant them outside.  I think her garden was an entire acre.  People would come from all over just to buy her produce.  I remember visiting her and she would always have a plant here or there (she even grew a banana tree in her living room) and I remember the amazing tomatoes, potatoes, and everything else that she grew in her garden.

Well, if having a green thumb is genetic, I don't think I got it.  I have a single indoor houseplant that I think is still alive by its sheer will.  My husband got the "love to grow things" gene, and over the years, I am just trying to catch up.

Monday morning we had a "Family Home Morning."  By unusual circumstances, my husband was home during the day (and had to work until late).  Planting the garden has been on my list for months.  But, we decided this was the week.  So, all 10 of us planted the garden...finally!  I am so glad we did.

Gardening in San Diego is pretty easy.  You could start seeds inside and transfer them when the weather is warmer, but there really is no need.  We just stick our seeds in the ground, give them water and wait.  We have had pretty amazing results.

February is an AWESOME month to plant around here.  According to Mr. Ledgerwood, right now is the best time to plant Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Chives, Kale, Kohl Rabi, Lettuce, custard, Onions, Peas, Parsley, Parsnip, Radish, Potatoes, Rutabaga, Swiss chard, Spinach, Turnip, Collards, Morrow, Squashes.

I saved a spot in my garden for peppers and melons...those roll around in a few months!

I challenge you to plant something before the end of the month.  Whether it be an inside container or an outside pot.   Seeds are available at Home Depot, Lowes, or Amazon.  Pick something edible and let it grow!

No comments: