Thursday, February 15, 2018

FINANCIAL PLANNING--THE LORD'S WAY

Finances...this word is typically not a favorite.  Yet this whole "money thing" is so important in our mortal lives.  Without being financially prepared, we cannot be truly self-reliant.

While preparing for Law School, I got a job doing credit and collections for a small business.  I was the one who made the phone calls no one wants to get, I sent the nasty letters, I repossessed property, and I took people to small claims court for judgments and wage garnishments.  The percentage of the company's accounts that came to me was small, but there were enough to keep me busy full time.  I sadly watched how a $12 a month flute payment racked up to hundreds of dollars in unpaid rent, late fees, and court fees.  I quickly saw the difference  between those who could not pay, and those who would not pay.  I worked with families as they tried to pay off the debt before court action took place, and I was hard-nosed with those who were belligerent and angry with me because of their debt.  As I was training, I was told that this job would change me and help me budget and plan financially for the rest of my life...that was so true.  Watching the destruction of individuals and families over poor financial choices was heart-wrenching and devastating.

Like so much, control over our finances is a choice we make.  Before we got married, my bishop gave us a little pamphlet that has directed our family's financial state for the better!  Based on the 1975 General Conference talk by Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve, One for the Money is worth much more than its weight in gold!

I challenge you to read this small pamphlet.  Read it first on your own, then read it with your spouse.  If appropriate, read it in family home evening, or with individual children.  Talk and discuss how these principles can be followed better.  I love how Elder Ashton put it, "Whether we are anticipating marriage, or well into it, today is the time for all of us to review and repent if necessary to improve our money management skills and live within our means."

Take this next bit to specifically review and ponder Elder Ashton's first two points.  (1) Pay an honest tithing.  Keeping our commitment to the Lord will help us keep our commitments to our budget, and our spouse.  (2) Learn to Manage Money before it manages you.  I love this idea of forming new attitudes and relationships about money.  One of these attitudes I am developing to view money as my servant, not my master.

Please ponder and pray about these points and discover how Heavenly Father can help you command your financial state.


No comments: