Thursday, April 4, 2019

THE ULTIMATE PREPARATION

When Bishop McDonald announced Leigh Braithwaite's passing, there was an audible gasp.  
I'm sure I was one who involuntarily added to that.  I immediately felt a sense of extreme 
sadness...not for her, but for me!  

The last conversation I had with Leigh, she wanted to know all about our baby and the problems
she will have after birth.  She then asked me what our baby's name was so she could pray for 
her by name.  

Leigh and George Braithwaite have long been amazing examples of unbound courage, selfless 
service and genuine love.  I marvel at all they constantly do to serve and lift others, even though 
they have had huge challenges of their own.  This is even more amazing to me as I am in the 
middle of our own "medical moment" where I feel so self-absorbed.

With Leigh's passing, along with the many days we have faced these last weeks of the very real 
possibility of losing our own sweet baby, my thoughts have turned to the need every one of us 
has to prepare to meet our Savior again.  

I realize this is a topic many of us do not want to think about, but whether this meeting happens 
upon our departure from this world, or at the time of the second coming, I think it is important for 
us to ponder how we can prepare ourselves and our family.  

This preparation is very individual, but worth taking the time to ponder.

Not by coincidence, I came across a few things today in my studies that I want to share with you:

 Sister Jean B. Bingham said, "What better way to prepare to meet Him than to strive to be like 
him by ministering to one another."  

And from D&C 61:36-39, "Be of good cheer, little children, for I am in your midst, and I 
have not forsaken you.  And inasmuch as you have humbled yourselves before me, the 
blessings of the kingdom are yours.  Gird up your loins and be watchful and be sober, looking 
forth for the coming of the Son of Man, for he cometh in an hour you think not.  Pray always that 
you enter not into temptation, that you may abide the day of His coming, whether in life or death."


I challenge you to take the time to realize what matters most and act on one thing you feel 
prompted to do to help you prepare to meet our Savior.  

No comments: