Tuesday, August 21, 2018

WORKING TO LEARN

This last weekend, I had an experience I hope to remember all my life.  It was one of those "mom moments" when all the worry, heartache, second-guessing, and doubt just melted away and I got a glimpse of my daughter's soul and realized, once again, how amazing she is.  Now, I cannot guarantee that some of those doubting feelings will not return from time to time, but I am so grateful for these moments as tender mercies from my Heavenly Father that help me realize that my kids have a mission and a purpose far beyond what I can see--and they are working to fulfill it.

For the last 18 months, Sarah has been working on her play.  She had a lot of help along the way, but she wrote the storyline, composed the music, authored the lyrics, held auditions, rehearsed with actors, delegated responsibilities, calmed fears, instilled vision, publicized, and when all was ready to go, she successfully troubleshooted a huge problem that could have derailed the entire production.  And that is just the stuff I know about.

Spellbound was performed last Friday and Saturday.  She made it happen.  And it was exceptional.  (Thanks to all of you who came to support her!).  But, the process was as important as the end product, and the goal was not just to entertain.

I was talking to someone just before the show on Friday and he asked if Sarah was getting college credit for doing this, because it certainly was a notable amount of work.  Well, no--but I do consider it part of her education.

Education is defined as "the knowledge and development resulting from an educational process." I  see these processes happening all the time both in and outside the classroom.  I think the key is to purposefully channel these processes so that we do gain an education and learn from them.  Not all education has to "count" for credit or some other accolade.  Many of our educational experiences may seem regular or mundane, but if we consciously work to learn something from everything we do, we can gain so much.  I look at my kids from my youngest as he has daily educational experiences learning to eat with a spoon, all the way up to my oldest who is creating her own educational experiences so that she can conquer the world.  Both have value, meaning, and importance, and both help each of them to fulfill their individual missions the Lord has for them.  

I challenge you to take some quiet time reflecting on the mission(s) Heavenly Father has for you.  What can you do to have an educational experience: purposefully learning something to help you, your family, or someone else.  Don't forget to write it down!

I realize this type of education is different than probably anything you have ever participated in, but trust me.  Trust that the process is as important as the end goal.  Seek to purposefully learn along the way so that you become better because of it.

I will give you an example, hopefully to help illustrate this concept.  (Feel free to copy, I don't mind!).  One of my missions is to be a successful mother.  This encompasses so much!  One of my current educational goals is learning to become better at laundry, something pretty mundane.  So, as part of this laundry education process I will set goals for myself.  (1) Do at least 3 loads every day (except Sundays)  (2) Do not let wet clothes sit in the washer overnight (3) As I sort/fold I will count my blessings and strive for a happy attitude--focusing on the positive instead of the negative aspects of laundry (I expect to be educated in the positive aspects of laundry as I do this).  My desired outcomes are that I (and my family) will have clean clothes every day that do not smell from being left in the washer too long, and I will have a happier, more thankful attitude towards laundry instead of grumbling and putting it off until it is beyond absolutely necessary.  I am sure I will learn more along the way that I am not currently aware of.  I will pray and ask Heavenly Father to help me in this endeavor and help me to learn what I need to from more purposeful laundry-doing.  When I feel like I have received my laundry education--I will apply this learning every day and look for another area in my mission to be educated in.  

Make constant education a part of your life.  It is one of the principles of Provident Living and something our God wants us actively engaged in.  You will be blessed for your efforts.

No comments: