Tuesday, August 21, 2018

STAYING VIGILENT

Last week, we drove to the “motherland” (i.e. Utah and Idaho) to visit family.  Jeff’s parents celebrated their 50thanniversary and it was super fun to see the 40 plus cousins together.

We left early in the morning to get through the desert before it got too hot, but as we headed north, I was not prepared for what I saw.  As we approached Lake Elsinore, we could see a rim of fire on the mountain.  I heard about the Holy Fire that started in Orange County last Monday, but I had no idea that it had traveled into Riverside County or that it could be seen from I-15.  As we drove past Lake Elsinore and Corona, I could more easily see the orange glow in the dark.  My stomach turned into knots and I mentally started thinking about what I still need to do in case of a fire.

I know we have talked much about fire preparedness since the Lilac Fire in December, but as Brother LeBlanc said, “It is not a matter of if, but when.”  I feel like fire preparedness deserves some more discussion.

We listened to the radio as we drove through Riverside County and the main county-wide concern was poor air quality from smoke and ash.  Many communities were not in an evacuation threat, but they were still impacted.  Health officials recommended that residents stay indoors with the windows closed as much as possible.  I thought about how prepared I am to stay home for a week or two at a time if I needed to.  

On top of that, while we were in Utah, a massive blaze was burning on the south side of Utah County, sending smoke to settle in the valley.  Sophie walked outside and said, "It smells like smores!"  I wish that were the case.  All we could smell was smoke almost the whole time we were there.

Since our December Fire, I have assembled our 72 hour kits—which was a monumental task and I prepared car kits for each of our vehicles.  I still need to take photos of everything in my house, including in my cupboards and closets, for Insurance purposes.  I also need to tape that list of what to take if I have to leave quickly for when my brain shuts down and I go into flight or fight mode.  

I challenge you to analyze where you are with your fire preparedness.  Take note of the good things you have done to prepare and make a plan to accomplish what still needs to happen.  If you need help or ideas, you can refer to this post or Brother LeBlanc’s handout from April.   Being prepared is never a waste of time.  After all, If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear.

No comments: