Thursday, June 14, 2018

SCHOOL IS OUT!

...or is it?

One of the questions I get asked most this time of year is, "Do you guys take a break from school over the summer?"  I always find this a little difficult to answer as I consider Life as school...there is always something to learn!  My usual answer is, "Not really, it's just different."  We usually shift our focus from Math and Language Arts to more engaging History and Science, including field trips.  Part of our summer curriculum is deep-cleaning and food preservation.  But there is always something to learn.

Gaining continual knowledge and learning is one thing that we as people, especially the Lord's people, should be pursuing.

On lds.org, it states, "As we become acquainted with truth in good sources of all kinds, we are better prepared to work in the world and serve in the kingdom of God. The Lord revealed, “The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth” (D&C 93:36). All truth comes from Heavenly Father and is designed for the good of His children. God wants us to educate our minds, improve our skills, and perfect our abilities so we can be a better influence for good in the world, provide for ourselves, our family, and those in need, and build God’s kingdom (see D&C 88:78–80)."

I remember hearing President Hinckley telling church members to "get all the education you can."  I have thought about this a lot over the last 15 or so years.  As a mother in a growing family, I did not ever consider leaving my home to pursue additional degrees.  I did earn my bachelor's degree just before we got married, but I did feel strongly that continuing my education was important, but what does that really mean?.  

For me, I have felt that 'getting an education' means learning right alongside my kids.  Boy, I have learned a ton as a homeschool mom!  I have also watched mothers earn their degrees online, seen groups of women get together to learn a skill, and engaged on one-on-one conversations to learn from those who know more than I do.

I challenge you to seriously consider what "get all the education you can" means for you in your circumstances.  As you sincerely ask the Lord what he would have you do to educate yourself, I am confident He will outline a perfect curriculum just for you, and that may include getting your family involved as well.  

No comments: