Saturday, September 15, 2018

Using Those Beans

As a kid, we didn't eat beans much...well not ever.  My mom wasn't a fan.  That's OK, she didn't like bananas either.  I remember when I was about 12, my dad took me to Taco Bell and he ordered Pintos N Cheese.  I thought I was in heaven, it tasted so good!  Not long after, I realized that you could actually buy cans of things called refried beans that were almost like Pintos N Cheese.  Who ever knew?!  Needless to say, I love beans.  They are so awesome--and packed with nutrition!

Over the years, I have learned how to cook with beans and have made some pretty yummy things.  A lot of people don't like them because of the gas factor.  I have found a few good ways to help with that.  (1) Be sure to rinse your beans and discard cooking liquid after cooking them from a dry state.  (2)  Add a bit of baking soda while cooking dry beans, this especially helps if your beans are a little on the old side.  (3) Limit bean intake to one meal every other day or so.  Eating beans for back-to-back meals (Or sometimes back to back days) can contribute to an elevated gassy state.

Here are some of my favorite recipes!  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!  With the Internet, it is easier than it used to be to make some of your favorite restaurant's bean dishes (Rubio's Black Beans, or Panera's Black Bean Soup anyone?). All it takes is a little practice and you'll be a pro.  Meanwhile, you can try some of these:

REFREID BEANS
7 c. dry pinto beans
1-2 onions, chopped
6 T Olive Oil
3/4-1 c. Water
2 T Salt
2 T garlic Powder
2 T Chili Powder
2 T Cumin

Cook Dry Beans (My favorite is the crock-pot method:  Place beans in slow-cooker.  Soak overnight. Turn slow cooker on low or high for at least 4-6 hours until beans are super soft.  Rinse cooked beans).

Add other ingredients and mash with a potato masher or hand beaters.  Add more water for desired consistency, and more spices to taste.

TACO SOUP
3 cans (or 4 cups) Kidney Beans
2 cans (or 2 cups frozen) Corn
3 cans Diced tomatoes
3 T (1 pkg) taco seasoning
1 lb hamburger

Mix over stove and heat through.  Serve with cheese on top.  Best with Fritos.

CHILI
7 c. dry beans (Black, Red, Kidney, or a mix)
1-2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 cans green chilis
2 cans tomato Sauce
2-3 cans diced tomatoes
Chili Powder
Red Pepper
Cumin
Salt

Cook dry beans (see crock-pot method above)
In the bottom of a stock pot, cook ground beef with onions and green pepper.
Add other ingredients, using spices to taste.

If you have any awesome bean recipes to share, be sure to include them in the comments of this post! I would love to try them!


No comments: