Tuesday, March 24, 2020

WORK ENOUGH TO DO (AND BINDER-A-LONG PART 3)

My kids love the Disney Legends movie and they love the songs.  We have adopted Johnny Appleseed's theme song.  Often you can hear us singing "there's a lot of work for us to do..." at which point everyone erupts into coyote yelps and laughter.   But yes, Johnny, there is a lot of work to do.

How is everyone holding up with the COVID-19 quarantine?  I'm guessing that most everyone is falling into one of two camps: (1)  My kids are home all the time and it takes all my energy to keep them busy and engaged in good things. Or (2)  I find myself at home with some extra time, what shall I do?  I keep daydreaming of what I would do if I were in group 2, the list is endless!  Then I drag myself back to group 1 trying to focus on the next activity.   Wherever you fall, find a way to do good.

I also encourage you to keep 2 lists.  Keep one list of things you felt prepared for during this whole deal.  What have you done well?  What have you been glad that you had in order to limit trips to the store?  What is working as you are pretty much on your own? On the other list, write down what you wish you had prepared for better.  Do you want to keep more toilet paper in the house?  Learn how to make bread? Have a better food storage of everyday items? Know more about teaching your kids at home?  This is a fantastic time to review how prepared you are, and to jot down thoughts on how to be better prepared in the future.  If you wait until "later" to think of these things, it will never happen, just keep a simple list somewhere where you will see it often.

I challenge you to take a preparedness inventory.  We are going to get through this, and though life will change a bit, it will not last forever.  I bet there is work all of us can to to be a little more prepared.  Think of ways you will work to be more self-reliant.

(You can visit my blog at byesboos.blogspot.com where I have archived over 100 preparedness posts.  Maybe these will help you in the areas you are lacking. If you still have questions, contact me, that's what I'm here for!)

Now for the BINDER-A-LONG...

If you still have not started, it is not too late!
Previous topics include
Gathering Supplies
Organizing and Emergency Lists

Today's part is FAMILY.

You want together everything that can prove you are you and your kids belong to you!

  • Recent photo of each family member
  • Birth, marriage, and death (if recent) certificates
  • Adoption Records
  • Divorce and child custody agreements
  • Drivers License (copy)
  • Military ID (copy)
  • Social Security Card (copy)
  • Passport (copy)
  • Child ID kits
  • Church membership #s and certificates (copy)
  • Military Record of Service 
  • Voter Registration card (copy)
  • Citizenship Documents
  • Genealogy Information 
  • List of usernames and passwords
  • ID cards (copy) from work, school, associations, organizations, etc.
Again, not all of these will apply to you. 

I suggest copying your cards, front side down on cardstock, then flip them all over to copy the backside on another sheet of cardstock.  Cut out and glue the corresponding sides back to back and insert cards into one of your divided sheet protectors.

You may want to organize this by family member, or you can have all of the same type of documents together.  There is no wrong way!


I challenge you to get all these pertinent items in your binder within 2 weeks!

No comments: